Wednesday 3 June 2015

Secret Affair set to lead invasion of the Mods says the Lancashire Telegraph


COLNE is preparing itself for a Mod invasion next weekend with the second North by Northwest Festival at Muni.  

Leading the way will be Ian Page and his band Secret Affair, who will be headlining the Saturday night at the festival for the second year running.  

“Festivals like Colne are always particularly interesting for us,” said Ian.  

“We play quite a lot of dates on our own, which have a focused following but with festivals we get the chance to play in front of people who are not that familiar with what we do.”  

What Secret Affair ‘do’ is produce catchy, guitar-infused songs with a Mod feel.  

Hit singles such as Time for Action and My World made Secret Affair chart regulars in 1979 and 1980 before splitting up two years later.  

They reformed after a 20-year break and the current line-up includes Ian and original guitarist Dave Cairns.  

“Dave and I have established a partnership with clearly defined roles within the band which works well,” said Ian.  

“Dave looks after the music business side of things which suits me as I never really had time for all of that.  

“This allows me to concentrate on the music, my role is that of musical director I suppose.”  

Secret Affair have a cult following among the burgeoning Mod and scooter scene. 

“Wherever we play there is always a hard-core of people that know the band’s songs intimately and you’ll find them going nutty down the front,” said Ian.  

“I’m sure they will there at the Muni.  

“It’s like having a little family following you whenever we play which is great.”  

Secret Affair released their first album in 30 years when Soho Dreams came out in 2012, a record which demonstrated that Ian has lost none of his sense of outrage or his ability to craft a first rate melody.  

“When it comes to writing a song, half of the time I might have a musical idea which starts things off or it might be a phrase which I will work into a lyric,” he said.  

“I work very hard on my song-writing, if I have hook then I have to do it justice, so I will take my time to perfect it.”  

Soho Dreams received critical acclaim and fans would love a new Secret Affair album.  

“Our objective is certainly to release another album,” said Ian. “But the funding for that has to come from our live shows and it does take time.”  

•Secret Affair play Colne Muni as part of the North By Northwest Festival on Saturday, June 6. Also on the bill are the Faces Experience, the New Amen Corner, Jeremiah Ferrari and the Visitors. Geno Washington and the Ram Jam Band headline the Friday night of the festival. Call 01282 661234.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Detail Magazine - Issue 12 Out Now!

  The Spring issue of Detail - features on Dee C Lee, Gabicci, Ted Carroll, Eddie Piller, Jimmy Smith, Tim Vickery, Tony Briggs, Paul Smiler...